Continuing their work on the Civilization series into its 25th year, 2K Games and Firaxis Games have confirmed that Sid Meier’s Civilization VI is currently in development, and will be available on store shelves for the PC starting October 21st 2016.
According to them, this newest instalment in the turn-based strategy franchise will “offer players new ways to interact with their world, expand their empire across the map, advance their culture, and compete against history’s greatest leaders to build a civilization to stand the test of time“.
One of the big promoted features of Sid Meier’s Civilization VI is with regards to cities. Cities will physically expand across the map, providing new strategic opportunities to explore. Action research in technology and culture will also unlock new ways to play and achieve victory, all the while potentially coming up against a large number of leaders who may enhance or hinder your goals.
Christoph Hartmann | President of 2K
Sid Meier’s Civilization games hold a reputation for defining the 4X gaming genre for the past 25 years. We can’t think of a better way to celebrate the silver anniversary of our longest-running franchise than launching the eagerly anticipated Sid Meier’s Civilization VI, which will provide the most detailed, beautiful and complete experience ever featured in a Civilization game.
Ed Beach | Lead Designer at Firaxis Games
Sid Meier’s Civilization VI builds on the firm foundation of the Civilization franchise, and we’ve added many exciting new elements. The visual presentation of the game is inspired by the maps and tools of the Age of Exploration, and we’ve made several key gameplay changes such as expansive cities and active research that makes Sid Meier’s Civilization VI an entirely unique experience while remaining true to what makes the Civilization series so special.
Developed by Firaxis Games and published by 2K Games, Sid Meier’s Civilization VI will launch on the PC starting October 21st 2016. While a standard edition will be avaialble for $59.99/£49.99/€59.99, they are also offering a Digital Deluxe Edition which includes the base game, a 25th Anniversary Digital Soundtrack and access to four post-launch DLC packs.
- EXPANSIVE EMPIRES: See the marvels of your empire spread across the map like never before. Each city spans multiple tiles so you can custom build your cities to take full advantage of the local terrain;
- ACTIVE RESEARCH: Unlock boosts that speed your civilization’s progress through history. To advance more quickly, use your units to actively explore, develop your environment, and discover new cultures;
- DYNAMIC DIPLOMACY: Interactions with other civilizations change over the course of the game, from primitive first interactions where conflict is a fact of life, to late game alliances and negotiations;
- COMBINED ARMS: Expanding on the “one unit per tile” design, support units can now be embedded with other units, like anti-tank support with infantry, or a warrior with settlers. Similar units can also be combined to form powerful “Corps” units;
- ENHANCED MULTIPLAYER: In addition to traditional multiplayer modes, cooperate and compete with your friends in a wide variety of situations all designed to be easily completed in a single session;
- A CIV FOR ALL PLAYERS: Civilization VI provides veteran players new ways to build and tune their civilization for the greatest chance of success. New tutorial systems are designed to introduce new players to the underlying concepts of Civilization so they can easily get started on a path to victory.