Following on from their latest trailer, Square Enix and Eidos-Montreal have announced that they will be releasing a paid companion app for Thief when it launches next year, in addition to a free lite version on both iOS and Android devices. They release this with the hope that this will enable fans to gain additional insight into the Thief universe, and offer a second-screen experience to fully engage the gamer… or just have something else you need to frantically find a recharging cable for when batteries run low (In my past experiences, it has always been the latter).
Available at the price of $2.99, the full app will provide the following promoted functionality:
- Direct Link to the main game to track your in-game stats and stolen loot
- Official Wiki created in partnership with IGN
- Official interactive digital maps created by Prima
- Issues #1 and #2 of the Official THIEF digital comics created by Dark Horse Comics
- Exclusive never before seen art and background content direct from the development team
- Access to official THIEF merchandise
The “lite” version of the app is set for release later this month however, and will provide complementary access to trailers, artwork, screenshots and other similar content.