You may recall a week or so ago that the LittleBigPlanet Twitter feed was promoting an upcoming announcement. While it took a lot longer to come to light, it seems like the announcement was plans to open the LittleBigPlanet Hub for the Playstation 3 later this year.
Unlike other installments in the LittleBigPlanet franchise, this title is completely free to play and offers newcomers and veterans alike their own pod and access to what they are hailing as an “extensive library” of free and exclusive content to kick-start their adventures in the world of LittleBigPlanet.
The game seems to be powered by microtransactions, with LittleBigPlanet Community Coordinator Steven Isbell claiming that:
Everything that is currently available for LittleBigPlanet 1 and 2 players will be available to purchase in LittleBigPlanet HUB through a variety of options, so that you can build your very own LittleBigPlanet experience, just the way that you want it!
Irrespective of how many games in the series you own, you shall have access to the following:
- A brand new level chock full of goodies to collect, exclusive to LittleBigPlanet HUB!
- Free access to the first worlds from both LittleBigPlanet 1 and LittleBigPlanet 2. That’s 16 free levels and all the goodies and costumes contained within are yours to collect and keep!
- Unrestricted access to LittleBigPlanet’s Create Mode and a full range of tools from both titles to create your very own levels!
- The LittleBigPlanet Team Picks! Our weekly updated collection of some of our favourite community levels. That’s more than 500 levels at the moment and growing each week!
- Exciting Weekly Challenges! A whole new way to play LittleBigPlanet!
Those returning from earlier games will be able to import their current profile alongside everything they have purchased. From a comment made in the announcement blog post, all on-disc content seems to be carrying over and not just DLC content you purchased.