Gotta say, there is something about media releases from Devolver Digital which get me all giggly when I read them. Their media relations team know how to be eccentric, and it is often so satisfying to see how they go the extra mile to get a little more attention in the mailbox. So, receiving an announcement that the “artistic expression simulator” SLUDGE LIFE was transitioning from free to paid was not only unique, but the team making the most of it was very welcome.
As the title implies, Terri Vellmann & Doiseone (HIGH HELL) together with publisher Devolver Digital have confirmed that Sludge Life has “fulfilled its exclusive obligations” and is now available on the Nintendo Switch* and PC via both the Steam and Epic Games Store. The game is now available, for the first time ever, at its full RRP of approximately $19.99 AUD.
Wait… was that a pesky asterisk next to the words ‘Nintendo Switch’? *Scrolls up to check*. Unfortunately that asterisk is exclusively for us Australian’s, with the decision being made by the Australian Classification Board to give the Nintendo Switch version of Sludge Life a Refused Classification rating. There is currently no public listing by the ACB for the reasoning behind this decision, but it renders the game exclusive to PC in the country.
Sludge Life will see players roam a tiny island stuck on a sludge covered planet as upcoming tagger GHOST, a breezy bandit set on staking their claim amongst the graffiti elite. Traverse the corporately branded landscape, link up with other taggers, and steal junk and hearts along the way. Will you become the king of the island and tag every open inch, infiltrate sludge-pumping corporation GLUG, or just take it all down in flames with you?
Promoted features of the game include:
- Experience the thrills of vandalism from the safety of your computer.
- Curiosity and free will are your only motivators – roll as you please through a tiny open-world.
- Find and download apps to your laptop and waste your life away playing a game within a game.
- Smoke Ciggy Cigs brand cigarettes. Smoke ‘em up real good.
- Take photos of exotic fauna and ambivalent NPCs.
- Dedicated fart button.
- A huge baby, community basketball court, and a cat with two buttholes. [no extra charge]
- Three distinct endings and pretty robust credits.