According to Microsoft, the goal of Xbox Live is “is to cultivate a safe, fun and reliable online community, where all types of gamers are welcome, respected and supported”.
In order to continue achieving these goals and provide additional functionality to the service on the Xbox One, Team Xbox have announced a number of new features which they claim will “break down barriers between gamers playing on different devices and make gaming more accessible for all”.
These new features, to be introduced in the near future, are:
- Clubs on Xbox Live. A new way to connect with gamers and create private communities with people who have similar play styles, personal interests and values.
- Looking for Group on Xbox Live. Like a “want ad” for multiplayer, Looking for Group on Xbox Live is the easiest way to seek out players who are available — and qualified — to jump into your multiplayer match right now.
- Arena on Xbox Live. A new online tournaments platform designed for everyone, from novice to aspiring pro, Arena on Xbox Live brings competitive gaming to Xbox One and Windows 10 devices. Sign up for tournaments directly through the Xbox UI or the Xbox app and play for prizes and bragging rights.
- Cross-play. Gamers on Xbox One and Windows 10 can now play select multiplayer games together. “Gears of War 4,” “Forza Horizon 3,” “Sea of Thieves” and “Scalebound” all support cross-play between Xbox One and Windows 10 PC, and now “Minecraft” players on iOS, Android, Windows 10 phone and Windows 10 devices can all join together in cross-device multiplayer fun.
- Cortana on Xbox One. Cortana is headed to to Xbox One, featuring familiar voice commands available on Windows 10 devices and new gaming-specific scenarios for Xbox One. Cortana will initially launch on Xbox One in the US and UK with additional markets coming soon after.
- PC games (Win32) in Xbox Live. Top PC games will arrive on Xbox Live through an update coming in the next few months, with more being added monthly. Use the Xbox app to see what PC games your friends are playing, view game clips and upload your own, and message and voice chat with friends across games.
- Language Region Independence. Language Region Independence gives gamers the freedom to choose any supported language on Xbox One, regardless of their location.
A Sneak Peek