With its core game now out to market for some time now, 2K and Firaxis Games have confirmed the first expansion pack for Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth — titled Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth – Rising Tide. Currently in development from the PC, this expansion will introduce a number of new gameplay features and plans to offer “near limitless ways for players to create a new future for humanity on an alien planet”.
Rising Tide will expand Beyond Earth to new frontiers on the planet’s surface and across its seas, adding more choices and diplomatic options as players build “one more turn” toward a new vision for humanity’s future. New aquatic gameplay will explore the oceans for colonization by extending the play space, while an overhauled diplomacy system will provide players with additional layers of dynamic choices and options to shape the diplomatic landscape while engaging with the AI and one another. A list of key features (Supplied by the publisher) can be found below:
- Building floating settlements and accessing natural resources hidden beneath the seas of the alien planet, while alien beasts with unique abilities inhabit the water and challenge players in distinctive ways;
- Shaping the diplomatic landscape by upgrading traits, changing diplomatic relationships, and leveraging the benefits of your allies, all with political capital;
- Unlocking a dynamic set of Diplomatic Traits while activating different combinations in response to the changing world;
- Playing as one of four new factions, including the Al Falah, a group of nomad explorers descended from wealthy and resilient Middle Eastern states;
- Investing in multiple Affinities to unlock hybrid Affinity units and upgrades for the first time;
- Collecting and combining alien relics via a new Artifact System that unlocks powerful benefits;
- Exploring one of two new biomes, Primordial world, an untamed biome rife with volcanic activity and indicative of a chaotic landscape still forming in the new world.
Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth – Rising Tide is set for release at an unspecified date later this year. Expect to hear more information on this title in the coming weeks and months leading to launch.
Sarah Anderson | SVP of Marketing at 2K
Firaxis Games has an impressive track record of delivering robust and innovative expansions that radically change player experience while adding extensive replay value. Rising Tide is no exception, offering new features and overhauled gameplay systems that will challenge players embarking on a quest for planetary domination.