Whether it was the PlayStation Vita, PlayStation 4, Xbox One or Nintendo 3DS – up until now all four consoles have lacked personalization of their home screens, with minimal options to allow gamers to add their flair on something you will always see when you turn on the console. While the portable consoles have both added theme options in recent weeks and rumours are that the Xbox One may not be far behind providing the option of dashboard themes (In addition to Dashboard Colours which are already available), the PlayStation 4 has provided gamers with nothing but a light blue backdrop and soothing music.
That is all set to change with System Software Update 2.0 “Masamura” according to Sony Computer Entertainment. This update will provide players with a range of options including Share Play, Youtube Support and Themes, the latter finally providing a chance to idolize your favourite game or thing every time you turn on the console. Sony will also be throwing in a background colour changer albeit limited to one of seven colours according to a recent feature announcement. This is in addition to a USB Music Player (With support for MP3, MP4, M4A and 3GP formats), enhancements to live broadcasting, an improved content area and more. A list of the newly announced features over the last couple of days can be found below:
- USB Music Player: PS4 owners can play their own music in the background while playing a game using USB Music Player. After inserting a USB stick loaded with music into the PS4, a new option for USB Music Player will appear. Supported filename extensions include MP3, MP4, M4A, and 3GP.
- Change colors: In addition to the ability to add a theme, PS4 owners can also change the background of the home screen from light blue to one of seven new colors: gold, blue, red, green, purple, pink, and gray.
- Players You May Know: PS4 will now suggest players you may know as potential friends in the ‘What’s New’ section.
- Enhancements to Live Broadcasting: Masamune brings a variety of improvements to live broadcasting on PS4. In the Live From PlayStation app, PS4 owners can now select a Featured channel, which includes official broadcasts from PlayStation, broadcasts from people on a players friend list, and any game channel that the player has followed. Additionally, Live From PlayStation now has filters for searching broadcasts on a specific game, as well as support for archived broadcasts.
- Content Area and Library: PS4’s Content Area, which shows the latest games and apps a PS4 owner has used, has been redesigned to help make it easier to quickly find and access content. It now shows 15 of a player’s most used apps or games, and additional items will be added to a player’s Library. The Library on PS4 has improved filter and sort functions to help organize contented by type (game / app / TV & video), name (a – z or z – a), recently used, or install date.
- Enhanced Voice Commands: The ability to control PS4 using voice has been improved. Players can now say ‘PlayStation’ to begin commands, and ‘All Commands,’ to see a list of all voice command options available. New voice commands were added for live broadcasting, including “Start broadcast,” “End broadcast,” and “Find face.”
- Add To Library: The monthly free PlayStation Plus games will have an ‘Add to Library’ button in the PlayStation Store. This button will add a game to a PS4 owner’s library without downloading it – saving space on their hard drive.
[Source: US PlayStation Blog]