On 8 December 2020, gamers on current and next generation consoles will have the opportunity to test their minds to some classic puzzle challenges with a modern twist in SEGA’s upcoming release of Puyo Puyo Tetris 2. A series which in 2021 would be celebrating the 30th anniversary, this game serves as an amalgamation of the iconic Tetris franchise and the concepts which have kept the series going for so long. Sega has recently shared details around several different play modes accessible to players. You can read more about these below:
Skill Battle Mode
In Skill Battle mode, players will create teams of three from selectable characters in either Puyo Puyo or Tetris gameplay settings and use their unique skills to create the ultimate lineup.
Show Off Your Skills!
Each character starts out with a single specialty and learns more powerful skills as you play with them. Selecting characters with complementary skills becomes a key strategy for winning a Skill Battle match. As you play, you’ll pop Puyos and clear Lines, sending Garbage Puyos and Blocks to the other player’s board. When the Garbage falls, your opponent loses HP. If their HP hits 0, you win!!
Promoted New Features for Skill Battle
- Character Skills: Leverage powerful character skills to change the landscape of any Skill Battle match, from recovering HP to changing the color of Puyos to erasing Lines, and more.
- Level Up: Increase your character’s HP, MP, Attack, Defense, and Recovery by playing through the game’s Adventure mode.
- Item Cards: Power up your team with Item Cards to improve your character stats, with exclusive offerings tied to the game’s Launch Edition.
Online Play Mode
A number of online gameplay modes will be available to players of all ability levels. This includes Leagues for experienced players, and a Free Play mode for casual players.
Building onto Puzzle League from the previous game, three additional Leagues have been added: Tetris League, Puyo Puyo League, and Skill Battle League. These Leagues provide a competitive space where you can match your strategy and talents against other pros and see how you rank amongst the world’s best. Free Play, brought over from Puyo Puyo Tetris, lets you play at a more casual pace with any ruleset and without the pressure of rankings.
Promoted Online Features:
- Puzzle Leagues: Looking for a challenge? Puzzle League offers you specialized platforms for high-level competition: Puzzle League (free choice of Puyo Puyo or Tetris), Tetris League, Puyo Puyo League and Skill Battle League.
- Free Play: Fans of a more casual experience will enjoy Puyo Puyo™ Tetris 2’s Free Play online modes. Play with up to four players across Versus, Skill Battle, Swap, Fusion, Party and Big Bang modes, with customizable match settings. Create a room and invite your friends to play!
- Challenge Rank: You can share and compare scores with players around the world for various Challenge Modes, including Endless Fever, Endless Puyo, Tiny Puyo, Sprint, Marathon, and Ultra. Leaderboards will let you show off your own top score and you’ll be able to take stock of the competition.
Developed and published by SEGA, Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 will be available on the PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S and Nintendo Switch on 8 December 2020; with a PC release on Steam planned for early-2021.