Eagerly awaiting the release of Final Fantasy XIV Patch 5.3: Reflections in Crystal and are counting down the hours until servers go live again? Spend some time reading through the game’s patch notes, with Square Enix sharing the full spoiler free patch notes this evening. Some players such as myself have taken a break from Final Fantasy XIV as they wait for new content to play through, and will surely be awaiting the patch’s release tomorrow.
One thing which doesn’t come as much of a surprise is that the contents of this patch will be spread out over the coming months through sub-patches. While a majority of the content will be available come 11 August, a few significant pieces such as Ishgardian Restoration Updates (5.31), Save the Queen: Blades of Gunnhildr, Resistance weapons, and Skysteel tools (5.35) are to be introduced later.
Some of the major inclusions in the main patch are:
- The next chapter in the main scenario quest, pitched as drawing the Shadowbringers storyline to a close.
- Introducion of the new ‘Heroes’ Gauntlet’ dungeon, which can be unlocked through the main scenario quest.
- Implementation of a “Hidden” trial, with extreme variant.
- Implementation of the second YoRHa: Dark Apocalypse alliance raid, which was guest directed by NieR: Automata director Yoko Taro.
- The Sorrow of Werlyr, following on from where players left off defeating Ruby Weapon.
- Dwarf Tribe questline and daily quests.
- An overhaul of the main scenario quests for A Realm Reborn, reducing the grind found in the game’s original content.
- Mounts can now be flown in A Realm Reborn maps. This will be available to all players who have completed the main scenario quest ‘The Ultimate Weapon’. There is no need to complete any other missions to unlock flying, although requirements remain for Heavensward areas onwards.
- The first ‘Faux Hollows’ Unreal Trial will be implemented, pitting players against Shiva in Arh Afah Amphitheatre.
- Sticker Mode expansion to the group pose system