In what was one of Ubisoft’s more surprising E3 2016 announcements, the company have confirmed that development is underway on Steep, an action (winter) sports game which offers an open world environment set in the alps.
Steep drops players onto the peaks of mountains, offering players the chance to ski, wingsuit, snowboard and baraglide across the open world environment. Ubisoft hope that these sports will “establish an incredible level of freedom to explore the game’s open world, allowing players to choose the way they travel and play”. There are set to be a wide range of activities on offer, which give players the opportunity to “discover, compete, pull off crazy stunts, and more”.
In Steep, players can use the trail feature to relive their most inspiring rides and trailblazing achievements, and share them on social networks with friends. Along with sharing ride replays, players can also use this feature to challenge friends to outrace them on a shared path, create epic stunts or set out to discover the massive mountain playground.
Ubisoft have confirmed that players will eventually be able to explore the majestic slopes of Alaska, which will be available as a free post-launch update. It is unknown if any other regions will be offered as paid DLC afterwards.
Steep is currently in development by Ubisoft Annecy (In association with Ubisoft Montpellier and Ubisoft Kiev), and will be available on the PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Windows PC platforms starting December 2016.
Rebecka Coutaz | Studio Manager at Ubisoft Annecy
Along with Ubisoft Montpellier and Ubisoft Kiev, we used our significant online and multiplayer expertise to create a game that captures the excitement and adrenaline we feel when we explore the snowy mountains surrounding us.
Igor Manceau | Creative Director at Ubisoft
We love seeing videos of adventures and stunts that riders from all over the world share on social media. Steep’s open-world and wealth of multiplayer activities were built to inspire this type of creativity. We can’t wait to see what players will discover and share when they first experience Steep.
RIDE YOUR WAY
Navigate the open world freely and create your own path as you decide how to explore your massive mountain playground.
- Choose between four unique ways to traverse the mountain: ski, wingsuit, snowboard, or paraglide.
- Rip through snowy terrains and skies, discover hidden spots, or just take in all the beauty the highlands of the Alps and Alaska have to offer.
LIVE UNFORGETTABLE MOMENTS WITH OTHERS
Share thrilling, adrenaline-fueled experiences with other players.
- Seamlessly meet other players and choose to follow them or play together.
- Group with your friends to pull off the craziest stunts imaginable; you can even mix sports to create wild tricks.
- Challenge friends to beat your own personal records, lines, and scores.
PARTICIPATE IN A WIDE VARIETY OF CHALLENGES
Prove that you’re the king of the mountain by dropping into unique and spectacular challenges that put your skills to the test.
- Participate in specific challenges designed for each sport, such as Big Air, Proximity Flying, or Forest Slaloms.
- Compete with your friends and the community on any challenge through leaderboards.
- Play through epic riding quests to find out about the Mountain’s secrets and experience unique moments.
Think your exploits are worth sharing? Relive epic moments and challenges, and share replays across all social media. Each time you cut a fresh path down the slopes, you create a one-of-a-kind run that can be watched and experienced by your friends online. Relive all your most spectacular runs, epic wipeouts, and wildest stunts. Choose the ideal camera angles, pace, and speeds to create the perfect post and dare the world to do better.