While Super Mario Maker has been known about for some time now, Nintendo have used their recent Digital Event livestream to highlight some of the many new features being incorporated into the game creation kit.
Players will have access to a multitude of tools to easily create the Mario level of their dreams through the Wii U GamePad. To provide a bit of assistance to those starting out, the game will include a Hardcover Artbook totalling approximately 100 pages, which seeks to illustrate “the boundless possibilities in Super Mario Maker”.
Nintendo will also release two special Mario amiibo figures, one of which will be part of a limited edition software bundle, to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the original Super Mario Bros. game. Tapping these amiibo in Super Mario Maker adds a Big Mushroom power-up to your course, allowing Mario to grow big, bust blocks from any direction, as well as adding a retro visual filter to the game, reminiscent of older cathode ray tube televisions.
In addition, many other amiibo will also be compatible with Super Mario Maker through the use of a new item called the Mystery Mushroom. This item allows Mario to take the appearance of many other characters, such as Link, Kirby, or Wii Fit Trainer, complete with character-specific animations and sound effects. These character costumes can be unlocked by completing the 100 Mario Challenge mode and many can also be unlocked if the player taps the amiibo of the character to the Wii U GamePad.
Official Synopsis for Super Mario Maker
The Mario experience of your dreams has arrived and is bursting with creativity… including yours! Play a near-limitless number of intensely creative Super Mario levels from players around the world. It’s easy enough to create your own levels with the Wii U GamePad controller that it may feel like you’re simply sketching out your ideas on paper, but you can now bring enemies and objects into a playable course in ways you could only dream of before. What was impossible in traditional Mario games is now impossibly fun, so let your imagination run wild!
- Play a near-limitless number of Mario levels created by Nintendo and players around the world.
- Create your own Mario levels by using the Wii U GamePad controller touch screen to add enemies, blocks, pipes and more.
- Break the conventions of traditional Super Mario gameplay by blending enemies, traps and items into unexpected twists, like Piranha Plant-shooting cannons, power-up-tossing Lakitus, or even Hammer Bros. riding on Bowser while bouncing on trampolines..
- Touch control, instant editing and a robust online ranking and search system makes creating, playing and sharing a seamless process.
- Switch between four distinct themes, each with different art styles and features:
- Super Mario Bros
- Super Mario Bros. 3
- Super Mario World
- New Super Mario Bros. U.
- Transform into different characters at random with the new Mystery Mushroom item. Expand the roster of possible characters by completing 100 Mario Challenge mode or tapping compatible amiibo.
- Tap a 30th Anniversary Mario amiibo figure to the Wii U GamePad controller to add a Big Mushroom power-up to your course!
- Each retail copy of the game will come with a special booklet that offers fun ideas for designing courses.