The next major instalment in Square Enix’s long-running and acclaimed Final Fantasy RPG franchise is little more than six months away. Pending any delays, the developer and publisher has confirmed that Final Fantasy XVI will be launched globally on the PlayStation 5 on 22 June 2023. This announcement coincides with the release of another dramatic and revealing game trailer, titled ‘REVENGE’, which is pitched as “a nod to one of Clive’s motivations that players will encounter”. You can view this trailer by scrolling down.
Final Fantasy XIV is pitched as introducing gamers to “an all-new standalone story in the Final Fantasy universe, an epic dark fantasy world that takes place in the realm of Valisthea—a land blessed in the light of the Mothercrystals, and where peace falters as the spread of the Blight threatens to destroy their dominions”. The fate of the land is decided by the Eikons, powerful and deadly creatures, and their Dominants, men and women who have been blessed with the ability to call upon and wield them. This is the tale of Clive Rosfield, a warrior granted the title “First Shield of Rosaria” and sworn to protect his younger brother Joshua, the Dominant of the Phoenix, Eikon of Fire. Before long, Clive will be caught up in a great tragedy and swear revenge on the Dark Eikon Ifrit, a mysterious entity that brings calamity in its wake.
Final Fantasy XVI is being directed by acclaimed Final Fantasy XIV Online director Naoki “YoshiP” Yoshida, who was in attendance at The Game Awards 2022 when the announcement was made.
Multiple editions of Final Fantasy XVI are being made available to pre-order, with a special Collector’s Edition to be available to pre-order on Monday 12 December 2022 at 9.00pm EST exclusively via the Square Enix Online Store. Regardless of what version you order – Standard, Deluxe or Collector’s – you will be eligible to receive the Braveheart (Weapon) DLC and Cait Sith Charm (Gil Boost Accessory) DLC at no extra charge.
Collector’s Edition for PlayStation 5
- Collector’s Box – A beautiful metallic-sheen box featuring impressive artwork by legendary FINAL FANTASY series illustrator, Yoshitaka Amano
- FINAL FANTASY XVI Game – Base game package, including reversible cover art
- Premium Statue – Phoenix vs Ifrit – A premium statue depicting a battle between two eikons – Phoenix and Ifrit
- Metal Eikon Pin Collection – A premium metal pin collection featuring eight Eikons
- Special Clive Rosfield SteelBook® Case – A SteelBook case featuring artwork of Clive Rosfield, the protagonist
- Cloth World Map of Valisthea – A cloth map of Valisthea where the story unfolds
- Blood Sword (Weapon) DLC – The fabled scarlet steel of Firion, hero of FINAL FANTASY II.
- Pre-Order SteelBook, Digital Mini Artbook, Digital Mini Soundtrack, and Scholar’s Spectacles (Exp Boost Accessory) DLC
Physical Deluxe Edition
- Base game package, including reversible cover art
- Cloth World Map of Valisthea
- Special Clive Rosfield SteelBook Case
Digital Deluxe Edition
- Base Game
- Digital Mini Artbook
- Digital Mini Soundtrack
Depending on your region, pre-ordering the Standard or Deluxe Editions from certain stores or the PlayStation Store may provide additional physical or digital goodies.