Continuing to work with developer Granzella on the R-Type Final series, Nippon Ichi Software America has confirmed they will be publishing R-Type Final 3 Evolved on the PlayStation 5 in Spring 2023 (or Autumn 2023 in the Southern Hemisphere). Exclusive to the PS5, the shoot-em-up is pitched as offering “3D graphics and modernized gameplay features“.
NIS America also stated that:
New and veteran players alike can shape their experience with the performance-based difficulty system and customizable ships. Experience classic R-Type trademarks such as the “Force” mechanic along with a nostalgic and addictive gameplay loop.
Navigate an entire universe of new and classic stages, face enemies that evolve based on your performance, and blast the competition away with worldwide leaderboards! R-Type Final 3 Evolved unites R-Type Final 2 and the PS5 with 7 exclusive stages made by Kazuma Kujo himself–all of the first Stage Pass DLC, new ships, and a multiplayer mode for up to 6 players–fully remade in Unreal Engine 5!
Promoted features of the game include:
- Evolved Enhancements: Experience the explosive adventure of R-Type on PS5™, where the frenetic action of the original games meets updated 3D visuals and modern gameplay features.
- Universal Challenge: The performance-based difficulty system adjusts to each player’s individual experience, making this game accessible to new and veteran pilots alike.
- Customized Loadout: Choose from a fleet of fighters from previous installments and personalize every element of your ship, including its color, weapon loadout, and decals. You can even customize your pilot to your liking in the hangar!
- Worlds of New Content: R-Type Final 3 Evolved includes PS5™ exclusive stages created by Kazuma Kujo, all of the homage stages from the first Stage Pass, and update Version 2.0.0. which contains new playable ships, a new multiplayer mode, global rankings, and more.
In addition to this announcement, NIS America and Granzella also confirmed they will be working on bringing R-Type Tactics I • II Cosmos to audiences from around the middle of 2023. Unlike the other announcement, this will be a multiplat release, being made available on the Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5 and Windows PC simultaneously. As you might be able to tell from its title, this will be a wee bit different to the mainline R-Type games. As per NIS America:
R-Type Tactics I • II Cosmos combines the side-scrolling, shoot-’em-up action the series is known for with tactical, turn-based strategy gameplay for a one-of-a-kind R-Type experience! Remade in Unreal Engine 5, this two-game collection blasts its way onto Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, and PC, with R-Type Tactics II also making its debut in the West for the first time!
Deploy your forces across multiple campaigns, playing as both the Space Corps and the Bydo. You can also set your sights on competitive online play to see who the ultimate tactician really is. With hundreds of ships and levels to choose from between both games, along with branching missions and a new third campaign (all exclusive to R-Type Tactics II), R-Type Tactics I • II Cosmos is packed with out-of-this-world content!
Promoted features of this title include:
- New Frontiers: With the debut of R-Type Tactics II in the West, both titlesmake their way from the PSP to modern consoles for the first time!
- Whose Side Are You On?: Multiple campaigns for each faction, as well as branching storylines in R-Type Tactics II, allow for a unique gameplay experience across both titles while fleshing out the world of R-Type and the origins of the sinister Bydo Empire.
- Destroy the Competition: Face off against other players online in both R-Type Tactics I and R-Type Tactics II!
- An Unreal Makeover: Both titles have been remade using Unreal Engine 5, creating a collection that’s both strategically engaging and visually enthralling!