From their early days as both a video game developer and console manufacturer, SEGA built themselves a library of memorable franchises. But for every Sonic the Hedgehog which has received countless re-releases, there are others which don’t get nearly enough attention. But in recent months, some of these classic games have been able to reach new audiences through the SEGA AGES collection for the Nintendo Switch. The most recent of these is the 1989 real time strategy game Herzog Zwei, which is now available on the Nintendo eShop priced at $7.99 USD.
This is not a direct port of the original game, but while retaining its classic charm, has seen several improvements to make the game accessible to new players and provide current-day functionality. These improvements include:
- Sharpen Your Skills with an all new in-depth interactive tutorial mode
- Pit Your Skills Against a Friend in new online 2-player action, in addition to split-screen support from the original!
- No More Level Passwords thanks to new save state functionality
- Customize Difficulty to your skill level with the new “Helper mode”
- Get Strategic with new Weapon and Unit tables for easy reference
- Relive the Most Heated Moments with new Save replays
- Customize Your Game with a variety of screen options and wallpapers
In Herzog Zwei, players will control their very own mech pilot to traverse large battlefields with the goal of taking down the opposing force while producing support units and capturing outposts to achieve victory on the battlefield. Choose between three different modes to achieve your goals: fighter plane, ground battle, and transportation. Travel faster and transport units to other bases with fighter plane mode. Manage energy usage and do ground-based damage in robot form.